This winter, YPT is turning the tables and giving our supporters the chance to be playwrights!
YPT couldn’t ask for better supporters. Over the years, you’ve packed houses at performances, participated in our online contests, joined the conversation on Facebook, gotten 15 to give 15, and run an 8k for us, all helping us grow to serve almost 2,000 students throughout the DC region each year. But demand for YPT’s programs grows, we do not currently have the capacity to reach all the students on our waiting list. That’s where you come in.
Our students really want you to say yes to them … so they’re going to say yes to you.
We’ve seen how YPT has impacted our alums as they’ve gone on to study everything from theater to business to neuroscience, and we think everyone should get the opportunity to be a playwright. So here’s your chance!
Now through December 14th, donate $25 or more to YPT and send us an original 5-line play, and our students will perform YOUR play.
Here’s how it works:
1) Donate $25 or more to YPT here or mail your check, made out to Young Playwrights’ Theater, to 2437 15th Street NW, Washington, DC, 20009.
2) Write a 5-line play and email it to email@example.com by 5pm on December 14, 2012.
3) YPT elementary school students will rehearse and perform your play in their classroom and YPT staff will film it.
4) On December 21, YPT will post all the plays on our YouTube channel.
5) Share your play with your family and friends and show your support for arts education and our students!
Your donation will help YPT say YES to new classrooms and shrink our waiting list, helping more students discover the power of their voices and stories through playwriting. And to thank you, YPT students will share YOUR story with the world.
1) Your play must be no more than five lines.
2) Your play must have two characters.
3) You must use the phrase “say yes” somewhere within the play.
4) Plays will be performed by elementary school students, so age-appropriate language and subject material please!
5) Your play must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 14, accompanied by a donation of $25 or more to support YPT’s fall fundraising campaign.
Tips: Use your favorite books, movies or even pop culture as inspiration (age-appropriate please). Include a conflict! Think outside the box! As we’ve seen from our students’ plays, even inanimate desk objects can become vivid characters. There are no wrong answers, and no idea is too crazy!
Help YPT make our holiday fundraising campaign our biggest ever, and show our students that anyone can be a playwright. Click below to make your donation and get started!
Need inspiration? Here are some examples!
Inspired by The Book and the Restless by Aayanna Collier (featured in YPT’s 2012 New Play Festival and 2012 Express Tour)
The Book and the Restless: The Proposal
BENJAMIN: Annie, will you marry me?
ANNIE: Oh Benjamin! I really want to say yes … but before I do I need to tell you something … something that I’ve wanted to tell you for a long time …
BENJAMIN: What is it? Are you in love with Manny? (Annie shakes head) A Geography Goon? (Shakes head) Perry? (Shakes head) Then what? What could possibly stop us from living happily ever after in the fairy tale section?
ANNIE: I … I think I want to become a vegetarian.
The 5-Line Play: Can It Be Done?
NO: Say, Yes?
NO: Will you help me write this five-line play? I really want to help YPT serve more students and see my play on YouTube!
NO: HA! THE END!
Still stuck? We’re here to help! For updates, inspiration and playwriting tips be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter throughout December!
Thank you, as always, for your amazing support. We can’t wait to read your plays!